Saturday, April 13, 2013

Missing the strangest things

Oh Germany, sometimes you make me want to scream and maybe throw rocks.  Which would probably make me look like an mad chimpanzee but whatever.

Yesterday a young man almost hit me with his shiny black Mini Cooper.  For the record, traffic merging onto the Autobahn has to yield.  Rather than yield, he floored it and would have sideswiped me or run out of lane and crashed.  I am not willing to risk an accident so I did the responsible thing any defensive driver would do and slammed on my brakes.  I'm grateful that Sophie wasn't in the car with me or I would have lost my mind.

I was on my way to Lübeck to return some jeans to Zara.  My latest method of buying jeans is to order several pairs in different sizes online, try them on at home and then return the ones I don't like.  It might sound tedious but it's easier than taking Sophie to the store.  She has something against jeans shopping.  I ended up choosing low rise ankle jeans by default.  They weren't what I was looking for but I always end up getting suckered into buying something more on trend than what I would normally buy.  They are kind of cute, right? 

source

I was also in Lübeck to hunt down my Redken deep conditioner.  It used to be that I could buy Redken almost anywhere but lately several of the places I used to buy it closed down.  This sent me on a two week, three city hunt for conditioner.  Seriously.  I've been to Hamburg, Kiel, and lastly Lübeck but no Redken.   I should have given up sooner and ordered it online.  That would have been the easy thing but I didn't think of it.  When I finally did my online search I found out that Redken has discontinued their Smooth Down Butter Treat.  Nooooooo!

source
This stuff is the best for curly hair and I've been using it for years!  I found some on Amazon.de and ended up ordering a two year supply.  Is that crazy?  I feel like it might be a little overboard but H was ok with it.  I've also bought a year's worth of day and night cream.  Maybe I should stop doing that

It was a beautiful day in Lübeck but I was feeling grumpy.  I still have the remnants of the horrible awful nasty ear infection.  Maybe that's why everyone I interacted with seemed terribly rude.  It could have been me though, I wasn't feeling very friendly.

Driving through the old city wall.


Lately I have been missing the strangest things from the US.  Like warm weather and watermelon and Dairy Queen and chocolate syrup on ice cream.  The last two things have manifested themselves in an overwhelming craving for McFlurries.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but I think I would eat a McFlurry every day if I could.  I hear that Spring has arrived in New York, can you believe that?  You wouldn't believe me if  I said I wasn't jealous. 

5 comments:

  1. I also order multiple sizes online and return what doesn't fit, like you said, it's easier than taking the tot & stroller to the changing room! Plus you can try the clothes on with other options at home to know if they match! :) Danica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My huge stroler doesn't fit in the dressing room and Sophie refuses to be left outside so I end up leaving the door open and flashing everyone OR pulling the curtain over the stroller and flashing everyone. Thankfully Germans don't seem to care about nudity as much as Americans.

      Delete
  2. Jeans are super cute, and I would kill for a visit to the Whole Foods prepared foods section. I miss being able to get a piece of their lasagne, and then a small container of garlic spinach, or whatever, bring it home..dinner made. I miss Temptee whipped cream cheese and bagels. An everything bagel with bacon tomato and cream cheese while reading the paper edition of the NY Times.
    And, yeah, warm weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, you won't believe this but I moved to Europe before Whole Foods became a big thing so I've never shopped there. Now they are everywhere and other expats always talk about how much they miss it but I've no idea what I'm missing :)

      Delete
  3. one of the brilliant country of education purpose German. really phenomenal nation in Europe.

    Cheapest Sheffield student accommodation | Student accommodation open day in Sheffield

    ReplyDelete